Tonight as I was getting Sam dressed for bed, she said "There's an R, an E...what's that letter mommy?"
Shocked and looking around to see where this was coming from, I asked, "What letter?"
Sam pointed to my shirt and said, "That one."
Amazed that my child was reading the letters on my shirt, I said, "It's an L."
She continued, "An L, and an A and a Y."
"No baby," I said, "That's a X."
"Oh, like X-ray."
My shirt has the word RELAX on it.
We work on our letters every night in the bathtub. She loves letters! She is recognizing letters in books. She always identifies the letter "S". The number 2 and 5 are also the letter "S" in the bathtub. I let this go because she has the right idea. She knows that the letter "S" is for Sam, snake, and sock; it makes the sound /s/. "A" is for alligator. "B" is for Betsy the Bee. "C" is for cow. "D" is for donkey. "K" is for Kim (this came about because of her daycare teacher). "L" is for lion. "O" is for octopus like Henry the Octopus from the Wiggles. "Q" is for quail. "T" is for turtle. I'm sure there are a few more letter/word relationships she can automatically identify.
It is easy to forget that my brilliant child is only 2 1/2!! When asked how old she is, she holds up 2 fingers and says, "Two and a half." How funny!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment